It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, but we bet you haven't busted out the brannas basting yet. Never tried it? If you love pork, you have to get your teeth into our KWV Brandy & Coke Christmas Gammon.
It's made with KWV 5 Year Brandy for that smokey, sweet, caramel bite and Chaloner Blackcurrant & Orange Jam for a tart, fruity finish. Absolutely deelicious.
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 large boneless gammon, about 2kg
- 2 litres of Coca-Cola
For the glaze:
- 1 cup tightly-packed soft brown sugar
- 2/3 cup KWV 5 Year Brandy
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup Chaloner Blackcurrant & Orange Jam
- A good pinch of salt
- Place your gammon in a large stock pot and add the Coca-Cola. Bring to a simmer, loosely cover with a lid and leave to cook for at least 30 minutes (40 minutes if bone in) per 500g, or a little more if you have time. To give you an idea, ours was 2kg and we let it cook for 2.5 hours; it was perfect. Remember to flip the gammon halfway through.
- Once the gammon is cooked, use two forks to lift it out of the cooking liquid and into an ovenproof dish. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- While the gammon is cooling, make the glaze. Heat all the ingredients together in a small saucepan and simmer until the sauce has reduced by 1/3. Feel free to add more sugar if the glaze is too watery or a little water if too thick. The sauce will thicken as it cools – keep that in mind.
- When the gammon is cool enough to handle, you may peel off the skin if you wish – this is personal preference. We kept it on. When removing the skin, you’ll lift a corner and tug gently; it comes off surprisingly easily.
- Score the fat to create a diamond pattern – the pattern is a matter of personal choice, but the scoring helps the glaze to stay on the fat instead of just sliding off. Baste the fat liberally with the glaze and return the gammon to the oven, uncovered. Baste frequently until the glazed fat has browned nicely (it should take about 15 mins).
- Carve and serve immediately or allow to cool and store in the fridge to serve chilled the next day. Place the remaining sauce in a server as serve on the side.
Let us know if you try any of the recipes by sharing yours on socials, tagging us @deeliverza, and using #DeeRecipe – if it looks DEELICIOUS, we’ll give you a treat!
Looking for more drink/mealspiration? Check out our other recipes here.