If you love Mexican fare, you better save this recipe for your next tortilla night! Our Spicy Tortilla Bowls are made with slow-cooked, perfectly-spiced cajun chicken fillets and all the trimmings.
- 500g Elgin Free-Range Chicken Fillets
- 3 tbsp Willow Creek Olive Oil
- 400g Serena Italian Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Nomu Cajun Rub
- 1 tsp Nomu Smoked Paprika
- 2 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup sweet corn
- Pinch of salt
- 6 Old El Paso Tortilla Wraps
- Oil to coat
- Foil to mould
- 2 cups Lancewood White Cheddar, grated
- Old El Paso Salsa
- 1 ripe avocado, medium
- 250ml Lancewood Sour Cream
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 Old El Paso Tortilla Wraps
- 4-6 limes
- Add the chicken fillets, olive oil, chopped tomatoes, cajun rub, smoked paprika, garlic, sweetcorn, and salt to a slow cooker. If you like it spicy, add 2 whole red chillies. Mix all the ingredients together. Cover and allow the chicken to slow cook on high for 3 hours.
- Once the 3 hours are up, use two forks to shred the chicken fillets. Allow the shredded Cajun chicken to slow cook for another 30mins, uncovered.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Lightly oil your soft tortillas on each side and place the tortilla over a small ovenproof bowl. Make sure the tortilla is in the center of the bowl, place over a large piece of foil and use it to fold the tortilla into a tortilla bowl. Bake in the oven facing downward for 5 mins then remove the bowl and bake the tortilla facing upwards with the foil still intact. Allow to cool for 5mins before filling.
- While the bowls are baking you may prep your toppings. Mash one whole ripe avocado and add the juice from half a lime, salt, and pepper. Slice two soft tortillas into 1-inch strips and shallow fry until golden brown.
- Layer each bowl with the cajun chicken, grated cheese, salsa, diced onions, guacamole, sour cream, and crispy tortilla strips. Serve with a quarter slice of lime and dig in!
Let us know if you try it by sharing yours on socials, tagging us @deeliverza, and using #DeeRecipe – if it looks DEELICIOUS, we’ll give you a treat!
Looking for more drink/mealspiration? Check out our other recipes here.